Reporting to the Executive Director, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing support for operations, accounting, communications and development to the Executive Director and other staff.
At this time SELF is a fully virtual office but may open a physical office in the Washington, DC area in the future. Candidates must be located in the Washington, DC area as the position requires physical access to SELF’s mailbox and banking.
The Solar Electric Light Fund (SELF) delivers sustainable solar power and wireless connectivity to rural villages in developing countries. Operating at the cutting edge of solar technology, SELF provides clean energy for water pumps, health clinics, schools, homes, Internet kiosks, micro-enterprise centers and irrigation systems. The goal is to improve health, education, and economic opportunity for the nearly 1 billion people who live without electricity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Check DC mailbox twice a week; copy and deposit checks at bank.
- Scan and distribute mail to staff as appropriate.
- Coordinate office procurement.
- Coordinate office contracts for phone and other technical services.
- Coordinate project procurement of equipment and logistics including arranging and tracking international shipments under direction of Project Managers.
- Provide support to staff and partners in coordinating travel arrangements, acquiring visas and other travel documents.
- Set up messenger, courier, and conference call services as required.
- Assist with the accounts payable and accounts receivable functions under supervision of the Director of Finance.
- Review incoming invoices, code them and enter them into the accounting system.
- Prepare bank deposits.
- Review and record incoming payments.
- Review and process staff expense reports.
- Process monthly credit card statements including: review of statement for proper charges, collection of supporting documents, and coding and entry into the financial system.
- Provide assistance as required during the annual audit.
- Makes logistics arrangements with US Postal Service for holiday card delivery.
- Entry of donor information into Salesforce.
- Provide other administrative and logistical support as required by SELF staff.
- Renews State charitable organization solicitation registrations as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize tasks effectively
- Knowledge of general office procedures
- General knowledge of maintenance and troubleshooting of office equipment
- Experience with processing accounts payable and/or accounts receivable a plus
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Skilled in computer operations including word processing, database management, and Internet access.
- Ability to proactively manage multiple work tasks in a timely manner
This position requires quality written and oral communication skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to establish and maintain relationships with people.
The ideal candidate for this position is gregarious, confident, and able to function well in a team-oriented environment.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Experience working in an office environment is required.
Interested applicants should forward a resume, cover letter, and salary range requirements, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. A rolling application process will apply.
SELF.org - Powering a brighter 21st century.
Since 1990, SELF has completed projects in more than 25 countries and pioneered unique applications of solar power such as for drip irrigation in Benin, health care in Haiti, telemedicine in the Amazon rain forest, online learning in South Africa and microenterprise development in Nigeria.
2021 L Street NW Suite 101-344
Washington, DC 20036
+1 (202) 234-7265