Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Manager is responsible for supporting the creation, coordination and execution of a comprehensive communications and public relations strategy for SELF. Finalists will be asked to submit writing samples.
At this time SELF is a fully virtual office but may open a physical office in the Washington, DC area in the future. Continued virtual work will be an option.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Executive Director and Development Director to implement an integrated communications and public relations strategy designed to support the organization’s program objectives.
- Execute a communications plan to raise the local, regional and national visibility of SELF and/or its officers and board members and to strengthen the organization’s relationships with key constituencies and audiences.
- Develop communications plans to support partnership programs and/or initiatives.
- Manage SELF social media campaigns.
- Develop ‘rapid response’ plan to leverage SELF message within newsworthy opportunities via letters to the editor, op-eds, etc. to relevant media.
- Develop and oversee content related to SELF’s website. Manage strategies to maximize website traffic, including working with tools such as SEO and Adwords.
- Evaluate and serve as liaison to outside public relations firms and/or communications consultants.
- Develop methods and measurement tools to evaluate communications effectiveness.
- Prepare and implement communications aspects of crisis response plans.
- Work with the Executive Director and Development Director on the creation and publication of SELF collateral material, including case studies, annual reports, newsletters, brochures, flyers, etc., including material needed by other teams to meet their specific objectives.
- Perform any other duties deemed necessary by the Executive Director.
- Outstanding written communication skills including experience preparing press releases, news articles, annual reports, and promotional pieces.
- Knowledge of WordPress (used for our website) is required.
- Ability to plan, originate, organize, and carry out daily, weekly programs.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Demonstrated proficiency in team building and conflict resolution.
- Skilled in computer operations including Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Salesforce is required.
- Ability to proactively manage multiple work tasks in a timely manner.
- Bachelors degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field.
- 2-5 years communications experience, with emphasis on social media and website development.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and salary range requirements to: CommSearch@self.org. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. No calls, please.
SELF.org - Powering a brighter 21st century.
Since 1990, SELF has completed projects in more than 25 countries and pioneered unique applications of solar power such as for drip irrigation in Benin, health care in Haiti, telemedicine in the Amazon rain forest, online learning in South Africa and microenterprise development in Nigeria.
2021 L Street NW Suite 101-344
Washington, DC 20036
+1 (202) 234-7265